Innovative Day

Hello everybody I am making a castle with a working drawbridge. I am making a well with a pulley that has a horse that pulls a string so the bucket in the well will go up and you can get the water. There are 2 big houses.

What are the middle ages?

The middle ages were called the dark ages or the medieval times. It was a decline and daily life was not good. The medieval times started when the Roman Empire collapsed. The middle ages started in the four hundreds and ended in 1400 ad, that is short for Anno Domini that is Latin for in the Year of our Lord.

Castles

Some people think the castles were homes for the wealthy and powerful people. Castles were an important part in feudalism in the middle ages. The castles were also in the middle of the local government. It is also a place to keep weapons and food.

Feudalism

The middle ages were a time for lots of activity.

The Roman Empire was made into lots of smaller kingdoms. Lots of kings had not a lot of control over their kingdoms. That means hundreds of princes, dukes and counts became rulers of their own land. These people were called vassals and their land was known as a fief.

What are gears

Gears are wheels that have teeth on them.

Gears only work when there are two or more gears together to make a gear train.

Some things that use gears are bicycles, cars, electric screwdrivers, and many other common machines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m3Er8Zcb_A

What are pulleys

Pulleys are spools with string around them.

Some things that use pulleys are cranes, flags, Elevators, garage doors, Wells and exercise equipment. There are two main types of pulleys the fixed pulley has no mechanical advantage and the movable pulley it has a mechanical advantage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj4J7QNeBNk

Drawbridge

The early castles might be made to be destroyed or taken down. Access to the bridge could be stopped with missiles from  machicolations or arrow slits in flank towers. The drawbridge is over a mote. Most of the time they use a pulley that is connected to a strong rope the rope is then connected to a crank and that is how a drawbridge works. A drawbridge gives no entry to the castles which means the castles are almost unstoppable at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytzNCxTaNxQ

Hypothesis

My Hypothesis is that I will create a pulley system to make my drawbridge go up and down. I will do this by putting the string in the pulley I will make a crank to make the drawbridge go up and down. I will make a gear system to lift the bucket from the well it will work by making the gear system on the castle to lift the bucket you will need to turn a wood pole and the bucket will lift.

Procedure

1. Get a cardboard box
  2. Make a castle however you want
  3. Make the drawbridge cut a shape of your choice in the box then cut two holes in the drawbridge then cut two strings and put them in the holes. Make a pulley the way you want and stick it on the wall of the castle and put the string in it.
  4. Make a well and or a flag
  5. Make the houses

Design

Here is the Design of the drawbridge.

Here is a picture of my gear system

Build pictures

Here I am panting

My inspiration 

We based our castle on the caccoma castle

Castello di Caccamo - Wikipedia

Final results

Here is a video of my castle

What went well

I think making the blog posed went well.

Even better if

I think if I made more houses it would look more realistic and look more like a real medieval castle.

Rubrics

this is my Rubric

see you later.